OHA is committed to supporting our ‘opio (youth) and building the capacity of our future generations to ensure our Community Outreach team is focused on reaching out to and engaging the youth.
Today’s youth have an incredible influence on each other . To help address these needs of our ‘ opio, OHA is launched Ka Mala Pulapula – the Youth Corner, a regular feture in Ka Wai Ola. Ka Mala Pulapula
translates to “a sprouting patch.” This metaphor allows us to envision a nation flourishing with healthy and vibrant young people. This column will address the youths’ need for a platform to express their views, share their mana’o and identify what programs and services are in place to assist them. It will also provide support and guidance for those seeking to take advantage of available Resources.
Each month Ka Mala Pulapula will feature ‘ opio events and activities, workshops designed for ‘opio,
Scholarship opportunities and programs that help ‘opio be community contributors so they can excel socially, civically and academically. Ka Mala Pulapula will also feature outstanding youth that are working to make a positive difference their community. Please submit events, workshops, deadlines, scholarships and recommend youth that can be featured in this regular column. If you have questions or suggestions, call (808) 594-1835. Ea kakou!
In recognition of our opio ( youth) who make a positive difference in our community. The Office of Hawaiian Affairs launches Ola ke kalo I ka ‘oha. Nominations for outstanding ‘ opio will be accepted on a monthly basis and each month OHA will feature one ‘opio in our Ka Wai Oa newspaper.
OHA is looking for ‘opio who are younger than21 years of age and actively engaged in the following:
- Community and civic activities;
- Volunteer efforts in the past 24 months on a project or with an organization that directly serves their community;
- Projects that create positive change in their community , especially in the areas if health, culture, governance, entrepreneurship/economics; and
- Academic excellence.
HOW TO APPLY: Please apply below, download a pdf or contact Joseph Kohio Lewis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 594-1811 for an application form .
- Submit the completed application form with a letter of recommendation
- Submission wil be accepted on a rolling basis
- Self-nominations are welcome
- ‘Opio selected to be recognized will be contacted by OHA